Westborough had a “major problem” with carbon monoxide during the Blizzard of ’13, Fire Chief Nick Perron told selectmen Tuesday night.
Perron said it’s “really important” for residents to clean the snow away from their homes’ heating vents, which snow can clog.
The Westborough Fire Department handled five carbon monoxide reports during the storm, he said.
“It kills very quickly,” Perron said of carbon monoxide.
“They call it ’the silent killer.’”
Anyone with questions about this topic should call the fire department, Perron said.
Meanwhile, Perron, Police Chief Alan Gordon and Public Works Manager John Walden praised residents for clearing the snow away from hydrants during the storm.
“It was amazing how many people did clear out the hydrants,” Perron said.
Walden said that during "the first part of the storm, (DPW) workers worked 32 straight hours."
Gordon said he held shifts over until staffing was sufficient, due to the tough travel conditions.
“Getting into town was very difficult,” he said.
Gov. Deval Patrick’s state of emergency and driving ban “eliminated the accidents (and) people stranded on the highways," which helped police, Gordon said.
And Westborough declared a snow emergency, eliminating on-street parking, “which assisted the DPW in moving the snow off the streets," he said.
“You don’t even have to look at a map. You can tell where the town line is," Gordon said.
"Drive out there. Our roads are just unbelievable”