Each morning, Westborough Patch presents “5 Things You Need to Know,” a collection of announcements, events and reminders to help you organize your day.
1. Registration for grades 3 to 6 basketball is now open through the . Deadline is Oct. 3. Visit the website for more information. While you are there, take a peek at the fall registration program. There are still openings in many of the classes.
2. Today is World Car-Free Day. The office of Gov. Deval Patrick issued a statement encouraging residents to try bicycling, walking or pubic transportation as a car-free exercise. “Massachusetts joins over 1,000 cities in 40 countries across the globe in an effort to showcase the community and environmental benefits of reducing the number of vehicles on the road,” the statement read.
3. The Westborough Advisory Finance Committee (AFC) meets tonight at 7 p.m. in Town Hall. The AFC meetings are becoming more frequent as the town nears Special Town Meeting, scheduled for Oct. 17. The committee plans to meet with the Town Manager to review the warrant articles. The meeting is free and open to the public.
4. A giant yard sale is planned for Saturday, Sept. 24 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Tufts Machine lot, 53 East Main St. The event is a fundraiser for the Brain Injury Association of Massachusetts, a nonprofit organization that provides support to brain injury survivors and their families.
5. Today is Elephant Appreciation Day. Apparently, we are not showing enough appreciation during the remainder of the year. So strap on a trunk and enjoy some peanuts today.