Each morning, Westborough Patch presents “5 Things You Need to Know,” a collection of announcements, events, reminders and odd little ditties to help you organize your day. What will you be doing today?
1. Give blood today. A blood drive will be held from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Westborough Tennis and Swim Club. Donors are asked to call 1-800-REDCROSS or visit www.redcrossblood.org to make an appointment. Walk-ins are welcome. Donors should bring a positive ID.
2. Support Westborough High School athletics: The freshman boys and girls soccer teams travel to Marlborough at 3:30 p.m. Both games are at Marlborough Middle School. The freshman field hockey team hosts Hudson at 3:30 p.m. at the WHS baseball field. The JV girls (Mill Pond) and the varsity girls (WHS turf) soccer teams host Holy Name Central Catholic at 3:30 p.m. The varsity field hockey team travels to Quabbin at 4 p.m. The JV game is at 5:30 p.m. Also at 4, the freshman and JV volleyball teams play at Shrewsbury, with the varsity game at 5:15 p.m. And on Saturday, the varsity football team hosts Hudson at 1 p.m. Go Rangers!
3. Westborough's Porter and Chester Institute hosts a Military Appreciation Day from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sen. Mike Moore will speak. A Military Recognition Ceremony begins at 11:30 a.m. There also will be National Guard vehicles, complimentary hot dogs and hamburgers, and a bounce house for children.
4. Support the WHS Student Council, which holds a car wash from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the school's upper parking lot. The wash is free, but any donations are appreciated.
5. The Westborough Historical Society will sponsor “19th-Century Architecture – A Stroll with Music," an architectural walk and open house, on Sunday. The group will meet at 2 p.m. at the corner of Church and West Main streets.