Here’s another incredibly easy salad dressing to make that, just like the other instant dressing I wrote about recently, goes great on just about any salad you can imagine. This salad dressing also only requires five ingredients, four of five of which are the same used in the first dressing with one significant difference. Instead of using olive oil or any oil, this dressing substitutes oil with plain yogurt. Now, the thing about oil, even if you’re using olive or canola oil, which are both loaded with healthy fats, is that oil, by definition, is all fat. And fat, even healthy fat, is high in calories, which isn’t necessarily bad unless you’re trying to cut down on calories.
So, right off the bat, as you can see if you click to the picture of the yogurt and oil nutritional label comparison, one of the benefits of using yogurt, and especially nonfat yogurt is a big cut in fat calories. The second terrific benefit to yogurt is that it is high in protein, which is particularly true of Greek yogurt because it has 2-4 times the protein content of other yogurts. Oil, on the other hand, has no protein. And finally, you bet this dressing passes the flavor test – with taste bud cheering flying colors!
To make 16 ounces (2 cups) of this instant yogurt dressing, which takes all of 5 minutes to put together, all you need is:
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1/2 - 1 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Mustard (I like using Dijon mustard but any mustard will work)
- 8 Ounces Vinegar (I like using apple cider, balsamic vinegar, or a combination of both those vinegars for this dressing)
- 8 Ounces Nonfat Plain Yogurt (again, I’m a big fan of Greek yogurt because of its high protein content)
- 16-Ounce Jar with a Snug Fitting Lid (I usually use an empty mustard jar, but any jar that’s 16 or so ounces in size will work fine. If you don’t have a jar, no problem. Just use a measuring cup instead.)
1.Add the following to a 16 ounce jar or measuring cup:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon mustard
2. Next, pour enough vinegar to fill the jar about halfway full. If you’re using a measuring cup, pour about 8 ounces of vinegar into that cup.
3. Fill the jar the rest of the way with nonfat plain yogurt and make sure to leave enough air space at the top of jar so that the dressing can be shaken. If you’re using a measuring cup, add 8 ounces of yogurt, and then stir the dressing with a tablespoon until all the ingredients are well mixed together.
4. If you’re using a jar, this is the best, most active part of putting this dressing together. First, make sure to screw the lid on the top of the jar tightly. Grip the jar snuggly with both hands - I like having both thumbs on top of the jar lid and my ringer finger and pinky on the bottom of my jar so that the jar is well caged in my hand. Then I go to the sink in case the jar leaks anyway and give the dressing a good firm shake for about 10-15 seconds until all the ingredients are well mixed together.
And that is all there is to making a very quick and easy instant yogurt salad dressing that can be used on just about any salad you can imagine. (Click this link for a complete, easy to follow step-by-step recipe.)
Storing leftover dressing: since the dressing has yogurt in it, make sure to store leftover dressing by closing the jar or covering the measuring cup with plastic wrap and keeping the dressing refrigerated for at least 1-2 weeks. Just make sure to give the dressing a quick shake when you’re ready to use it again. All very easy.