Health officials suggested, in a press release, that residents take "common sense precautions" in response to the news, which was announced by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
The suggestions are:
- "Consider rescheduling outdoor activities that occur during evening or early morning," which are the "peak biting times for many mosquitoes."
- Wear long-sleeved shirts, long pants and socks when outdoors.
- When outdoors, use an insect repellant with DEET, permethrin, picaridin, IR3535 or oil of lemon eucalyptus.
- Drain places around the home that hold water.
- Install tightly-fitting screens on all windows and doors.