5 Things You Need to Know Today: Nov. 26
All gift cards are not created equal.
Each morning, Westborough Patch presents “5 Things You Need to Know,” a collection of announcements, events and reminders to help you organize your day.
1. The Better Business Bureau (BBB) reminds consumers to inspect the packaging when buying gift cards. Check cards before purchase to be sure that no packaging has been removed and that the expiration date is not near or passed. “Verify that no protective stickers have been removed and that the protective layer on the back of the card hasn't been scratched off to reveal a PIN number,” reported a BBB statement.
2. The Westborough Board of Selectmen will meet on Tuesday, Nov. 29 at 6 p.m. in Town Hall. This is a rescheduled meeting from Nov. 22. It is free and open to the public.
3. The Massachusetts Department of Health and Human Services offers food and health assistance, free and reduced price school meals and other public benefits for those who qualify. To find out if you qualify, visit the website screening page.
4. AAA recommends that you secure Fido in a restraint before taking him for a drive. “Driving with a pet leads to risky behaviors that move attentions from traffic to highly active animals in the vehicle,” the organization reported. The AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety research shows that distraction from the road for a mere two seconds doubles the threat of a collision.
5. According to a report from Business Week, airline passengers are paying about 6 percent more this year for round-trip flights during the Thanksgiving holiday due to airlines reducing available seats. Expect to pay an average of $375 for a round trip ticket, adding in taxes, fees and surcharges.