5 Things You Need to Know Today: March 16
Who remembers Gumby?
Each morning, Westborough Patch presents “5 Things You Need to Know,” a collection of announcements, events, reminders and odd little ditties to help you organize your day.
1. The Westborough Public Schools announced an anticipated vacancy for the 2012-13 school year: head varsity boys soccer coach. Anyone interested should submit a letter of interest by March 22 to Johanna DiCarlo, Athletic Director.
2. The Siloam Lodge, 12 Church St., is holding a community breakfast on Saturday, March 17, from 8 to 11 a.m. Stop by for all-you-can-eat pancakes. This is a free event. Donations accepted. There is also a collection of donations of nonperishable food items for the Westborough Food Pantry.
3. According to a new survey from Robert Half Technology, IT professionals are in demand. The group reports that 65 percent of CIOs reported challenges finding skilled IT professionals.
4. Five Gibbons Middle School students have work featured in the Youth Art Month exhibit at the Worcester Art Museum. The show runs through March 30. Featured Westborough students include:
- Ambria Roy for her mixed media photograph
- Brayden Lung for his sculpture of a flying bird
- Ryan Van Doren for his photo collage
- Aemonn Mazur for his pastel soundscape
- Jacob Borgia for his inkbrush landscape painting
The free exhibit is open Tuesday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Sunday, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
5. The Westborough Senior Center is looking for information about a photograph taken in Westborough in the late 1930s or early 1940s. It is believed to be of third or fourth grade children in front of the Harvey School. The staff is hoping to identify the children in the photograph and get more information about it. The staff invites anyone with information to stop by the Westborough Senior Center and have a look. If some of the children can be identified the picture will be passed along to the Westboroughh Historical Commission.
Is there something that you would like to add to this column today? Maybe you want to say, “Hey, ‘The Gumby Show’ premiered 55 years ago today!” Go ahead and say it. Post your comments and tell our readers!
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up to date on the latest Westborough news, or simply hit the "like" button at the top of this page. If you'd like to receive the Westborough Patch newsletter with our top stories, click here.