5 Things You Need to Know Today: Jan. 21
You can find out current Massachusetts road conditions by dialing three numbers.
Each morning, Westborough Patch presents “5 Things You Need to Know,” a collection of announcements, events and reminders to help you organize your day.
1. The Massachusetts State Police remind motorists to call 511 on cell phones for current traffic and road conditions on Massachusetts highways.
2. Siloam Lodge, 12 Church St., is holding a free community breakfast beginning at 8 a.m. This is a monthly event offered as a community service. Donations accepted and will be used to support events and Masonic charities. This morning, a collection of nonperishable food items will be accepted and donated to the Westborough Food Pantry.
3. The Massachusetts Executive Office of Labor and Workforce Development reported this week that the total unemployment rate was 6.8 percent, down 0.2 of a percentage point from the November rate of 7.0 percent, and well below the national rate of 8.5 percent. It is the lowest monthly rate since December of 2008. The preliminary December estimates show a decrease of 6,200 jobs in Massachusetts, for a total of 3,234,500 jobs.
4. There will be a meeting of the Women’s Spiritual Reading Group at the First United Methodist Church, 120 West Main St., beginning at 6:30 p.m.
5. Cold weather and snow can impact the mobility of many senior citizens in town. If you know of seniors in your family or neighborhood, consider checking to see if they have enough food and medication to last for several days. You can also help by making sure that they have flashlights and batteries in case of a power outage.