5 Things You Need to Know Today: April 28
The cost of owning a vehicle is nearly $9,000 a year, according to a new report.
Each morning, Westborough Patch presents “5 Things You Need to Know,” a collection of announcements, events, reminders and odd little ditties to help you organize your day. What will you be doing today?
1. George’s Coney Island Hot Dog in Worcester is celebrating its 100th anniversary. The owner, Kathy Tsandikos, is putting together a book of memories and invites anyone to submit stories via Facebook, email or mail to The Coney Island Project, 158 Southbridge St., Worcester, MA 01608.
2. The cost of owning and operating a vehicle in the US increased 1.9 percent over the past year, reported AAA. In its annual study, AAA reported that the average costs rose 1.1 cents per mile to 59.6 cents per mile, or $8,946 per year. The average driving cost for 2012 is up due to relatively large increases in fuel and tire costs and more moderate increases in costs of maintenance and insurance.
3. The UPS store has returned to Speedway Plaza. Under new ownership, the store is offering a free teacher appreciation card which is good for .05 cent black and white copies. To get yours, stop by the store and ask for Jamie.
4. The Westborough Public Schools announced two anticipated vacancies for the 2012-13 school year: a grade 2 teacher at Fales Elementary School and a nurse at Hastings Elementary School. Those interested are asked to submit a letter of interest, resume and letters of reference and a copy of certification by May 4 to Maryann Stannard, principal at Fales Elementary School, or Leigh Becker, principal at Hastings Elementary School.
5. Robinson Music will hold its fourth annual Metrowest Musical Instrument Fun Day on Sunday, June 10 from noon to 4 p.m. Children and parents are invited to hear, touch and try out a variety of musical instruments, including guitar, piano and all types of school band and orchestra instruments.
Is there something that you would like others to know today? Go ahead and post it in the comments!
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up to date on the latest Westborough news, or simply hit the "like" button at the top of this page. If you'd like to receive the Westborough Patch newsletter with our top stories, click here.